Saturday, March 31, 2012

Art in the Park #1

Quitman's first annual Art in the Park was a huge success, from all indications.  I know Bob and I had a good time and sold more pottery than we dreamed. God really blessed us.  With Bobby and Jessica's help, we had a nice set-up with a canopy, and Bob had his wheel set up.  It was fun to watch folks watch him throw.....especially little kids.

 The opening group was the Quitman High School show choir and chorus, and they did a great job.  I got to hug several students I miss from last year.
We got to see some folks we hadn't seen in years, people who played important roles in our lives.


One example: Martha Hamrick, who was Emma's preschool teacher at the Quitman First Methodist pre-school.  She has fond memories of Emma, and we talked a good while. Another example: Rose Longwitz, DeeDee's and Bobb's choral teacher at Quitman High School.  And those are just two of the dozens of folks we got to reconnect with.

The weather was perfect......Mrs. Holloman, one of the main event coordinators, couldn't have possibly called up a more beautiful day. Earlier in the week, there were weather predictions of 50% chance of rain, but the only clouds in the sky were welcome ones that blocked the sun and brought occasional wisps of coolness.
The food vendors had delicious goodies......one church group from near Butler, Al, had delicious BBQ pork skins made fresh.  The Kettle Corn man was there, and I finally tasted some of that sweet-salty popcorn. I saw several funnel cake vendors, but I found the will to resist!  (Kinda wish I hadn't.)
I never got to walk around and see what the other vendors had for offer......that's my only regret.  Next year I'll make it a point to get around and see other booths.  We were pretty busy at ours, though, so I'm not complaining.
What a lovely way to introduce the community to the new Mary Carter Park in the center of the town.  I hope the powers that be can find other events to host there, because it's really a pleasant venue.
Special kudos to the Mount Hebron Baptist Church worship drama group......they performed very well, and were an excellent way to bring the event to its close. Talented young people who love the Lord treated the crowd to several small skits and some lovely singing with worship dance and pantomime.
If you missed out on going, you missed out on lots of fun and smiling faces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment